“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
–Martin Luther King Jr.
What is Chronic Pain?
Chronic pain, is a pain that either comes from an injury or an ongoing illness. “Living with chronic pain can feel unbearable.”(J.E.2018). Chronic pain NEVER goes away. Medications may help but often doesn’t. There are other alternative coping skills that can be used to help alleviate some of the pain.
What can cause Chronic Pain?
Some causes of chronic pain are:
- Nerve Damage
- Disc Disease
- Pelvic Infections
- Cancer and Chemotherapy Pain
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neck Pain
- Back Pain
“Living with a chronic pain limits your ability to work, take care of yourself, and even playing with your children.”(J.E.). You may also notice psychological affects as well such as; irritability, anger, depression, and difficulty concentrating. When you are in pain, you may also feel sad and hopelessness and or despair. This anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts plague those living with chronic pain. This is because researchers have found that their brain cells have been damaged.(abc.net)
Stress and lack of sleep are also contributors to added pain for those living with chronic pain. Stress causes muscle tension and INCREASES the pain you feel. It is imperative to learn new coping techniques to lower the stress, and to try and get a goods night of sleep.
How Can One Cope With Chronic Pain?
- Dr. Visit, Discuss Your Options
- Join Support Groups
- Journal or Diary of pain episodes and causation
- Research: The American Chronic Pain Association, The American Pain Society, and The National Pain Foundation
- Medications, Pain Killers, Herbal Medicines, and Nutritional Supplements
- Muscle Relaxers
- Chiropractic Treatments
- Massage Therapy
- Tens, Electrical Nerve Stimulation Therapy
- Physical Therapy, Stretching, and Exercise
- Meditation and Yoga
- Breathing Techniques and other Relaxation Techniques
- Other alternative therapies such as magnetic therapy and more
Jacques, Erica, Sept 6, 2018. 8 Ways To Cope With Side Effects of Chronic Pain. https://www.verywellhealth.com
Lynne, Malcom, Willis, Olivia, March 21, 2016. What Chronic Pain Does To Your Brain. https://www.abc.net.av
Chronic Pain: Does It Ever Go Away? Sept. 2, 2013. https://lasvegasrecovery.com
Pain Management: Treatment Overview https://webmd.com
Unsplash: Rados, Jonathan